When Abigail got her big girl bed two Christmases ago, I went ahead and made up the top bunk. Don't ask me why. It's not like we were going to have any sleepovers anytime soon. Or even that we let her see that anyone could even get up there. But I did, and over the course of a few months the sheet slowly slid off the edge of the top bunk. It gradually got lower and lower until she started requesting it be pulled down for nigh-night time. I don't blame her! How cool is that to have your own little fort? So we went on like this for I don't know how long. Every night and nap time pulling it down then flipping it back up when she awoke. Occasionally a corner would fall off completely and we would have to fix it (the stuffed animals that live on the top bunk came in particularly handy for this). Eventually Jeffrey got sick of how trashy it looked and asked me to make a curtain for it. So we pondered and figured and bought fabric. Then about a month later I finally got around to it (if for no other reason than to get Jeffrey off my back). Abigail could move the curtain without any assistance from us, and it had cool ladybugs on one side and elephants on the other...she was in heaven. It also helps keep her sleeping area a bit darker for nap and mornings.
Originally I made it one long curtain and imagined it being able to be pushed completely to one side. I failed, however, to take into account that when Jeffrey put up the rod that there would be a support in the middle. So after a few months of just pulling the curtains to the middle, I finally took them down and made them two separate pieces. I also top-stitched around the edges to give it a bit more of a finished look and put more loopholes for hanging. It is so much nicer to be able to part the curtains to either side and actually get to her bed.
If you are interested in having a custom set made for your youngster's bunk bed let me know! I'm kind of itching to do a frilly pink one (but certainly not for Abby).